Sunday, April 20, 2014

Lego dams and new learning

One of the best parts of this investigation is the fact that I am learning as much as the students.  Even though I have been using iPads in the classroom for a few years, they were used in specific ways which did not challenge me in learning more.  One of the things I needed to be able to do with this investigation was to find a way for the students to send me their work.  The students do not have access to e-mail accounts on the iPads, so the obvious solution did not work BUT, the iPads have the Google Drive app installed and each student has a google drive account, as do I.  After they finished with their PicCollage (to be created with the co-constructed criteria that we had agreed upon) the pairs sent me their work.  You'll see 6 out of the 10, because 4 groups added their names.  My personal policy is not to reveal the names of my students on the internet.  
The ten dam designs seem much more similar because there were specific criteria that the students were following as they created the dams.  As well, they had more experience, had viewed more actual photographs of dams and understood the purpose of the dam more with this challenge.
The hole that they were to open after the water was held back by the dam, represented the channel that the water would be forced through to turn the turbines and create electricity,
 (in the very simplest of understandings).



I have been more than happy with their growth as learners and their willingness to be problem solvers!

No comments:

Post a Comment